Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Playdates and Beauty



Those of you who know my Xylie know that she loves playing with her friends. She enjoys having playmates over here for a visit and she takes going to a friend's house very seriously.

Yesterday, she had her first playdate with her new friend Kayla (AKA-"The Flower Girl"- And I know I am spelling her name wrong, I forget how she spells it.).Zayden and I had a fun time hanging out with Kayla's mom, Jennifer, while she and Xylie played. The girls played very well together.

Today, Xylie was "so very excited" to be going to her new friend Anderson's house. Anderson's mommy,my friend Karie, picked her up this morning. She was going to join Karie and Anderson's younger sister Maddie in picking up Anderson from pre-K. All morning, she chattered with excitement. She also spent extra time picking out her outfit. It cracks me up that preschool aged little girls get so excited about clothing. I know that she and her girlfriend's love trading outfits and compliment each other on their fashion sense. An art that is probably lost on Anderson. Luckily, Xylie is versatile and likes to play with toys that usually boys enjoy too. She and Anderson had a playdate here last week and the two got along famously, so I am hoping for a repeat. The picture to the right is of her in the outfit she chose.

Tomorrow, we are going to a MOPS event and on Thursday, she has a playdate with her friend Sammy. On Friday, we have MOPS, so it is socialite central in 1712 Farm Springs Rd.

Another highlight in Xylie's life has been learning to play games on the computer. Basically she just uses the mouse. It is great for her hand-eye coordination. Originally we started with games from Noggin and PBS but then she found Barbie.com and is hooked on designing princess dresses and giving Barbie beauty make-overs. She really enjoys making her own magazine cover. She gets to choose Barbie's skin pigment, hair color, length, and style. Additionally, she decides what Barbie should wear (including whether or not her hair should be adorned with flowers or bows), and what make up looks best on her. It's really a hoot.

What I feel is so precious is that she loves to use the darkest skin pigmentation when designing her Barbie and said that she would love to have some Barbies who have "brown skins " She pluralizes skin. It proves to me that racism is an acquired trait. She comments that she thinks that dark brown skin is so beautiful.

Xylie's comments remind me of something I heard Beth Moore say in the "Breaking Free" Bible study series. Moore said that she feels the phrase color-blind is quite silly. Of course we notice color and we should. God made us all unique and also in His image. I think it is beautiful when people notice the differences of skin color without attributing negative characteristics to the differences. Something I feel that is not limited to the minds of children. I didn't mean to get preachy, I just couldn't help but share something I think is so simple yet so beautiful.

Oh, one last thing regarding my blog. I was getting spam messages on the comment section and didn't know how to get rid of individual comments, so I just took away the whole comment area. I'm sad about that, but I don't want anything rude on my site.

0 comments: