Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Surgery Update

After more than five hours of cutting, dissecting, fusing, removing a disc, and inserting the contents of Home Depot's aisle seven into Napp's back, his surgeon presented me with positive news: The operation was extensive but successful.

Dr. Rawe hoped to a minor disc disectomy on Napp's back but prepared to the most extensive work needed just in case. Praise God he was prepared, because the later was needed. Napp's herniated disc located on his left side actually had protruded to the right (remember that X-ray image belonging to someone else that I posted her a few weeks ago? Well, Napp's problem was actually quite a bit worse than that).

I'm not well versed in medical lingo and biology was not my best subject in high school, but here is my best shot on updating you about the procedure.

The doctor removed the disc and then replaced it with a prosthetic created from regenerated bone matter and it required one fusion. Two screws are holding it all in place.

Napp didn't get out of surgery until 5:15 pm (he went under at noon) and then woke up around 6:00. I was able to see him after he was transferred into his room. Napp asked me to spend the night with him and the staff OK'd it. I slept on the window seat in his room. I came home a few hours ago so that Napp's mom could go to the hospital and stay with him for a little bit.

Today, Napp will be fitted for a back brace, given more X-rays and helped to walk, etc. He'll also be able to eat. He's in good spirits. Although he's in a lot of pain from the surgery, his pain that warranted surgery has subsided, a sign that the surgery worked. He does have numbness in his toes and the doctor expects that to go away within the next few weeks. He will need to wear a back brace for the next three months. Hopefully after that time he will be able to function like new.

Thanks to all of you for your prayers and support.

3 comments:

Robin said...

So good to hear the surgery went well and that you had a prepared surgeon! The fact that he doesn't have the original pain is a great sign. God is good! Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you all.

DKay said...

Yeah! Great news! I hope he feels much better soon. I'll continue to keep you guys in my prayers whereas the recovery will be trying at times. Love Y'all!!!

Ted said...

Angela,

So glad the surgery went well. I thought Napp looked great today considering how long he was in surgery yesterday. Let me know if I can do anything to help you all.