Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Spitting Pretty

Imagine if you will that we are cooking dinner together and as you're chopping onions, you slice your finger. I'm the girl you want there. I will stay calm, bandage your wound, give you an ice pack and a glass of water, and clean up the blood. No problemo. And should you need stitches, I'll take you to the ER and hold your hand.

New scenario. Now imagine that we're out strolling and some teenage boy saunters by and spits on the sidewalk. At a minimum, I will turn my head and stifle a gag. Depending on the amount and color of the spit, I will go home and throw up.

I don't do well with spit or snot. Not my thing. I cannot even watch my husband brush his teeth without feeling queasy. Blood, I can handle, the two S's, gross me out.

However, I am quite happy to announce that we have a new spitter in our family. Last night, Pumpkindoodle finally graduated from Toddler toothpaste to little girl princess paste with Fluoride. As long as she swishes and spits appropriately, I'll be just fine. However, if you come over and need to brush your teeth, I assure you that you'll have plenty of privacy.

5 comments:

Annie said...

That's fun. I do have a question though, my pediatrician said that I need to make sure I am already using toothpaste with flouride, and I have been since H turned 2. H uses princess toothpaste also with flouride. I trust my pediatrician because she is awesome and will more than likely stick with what she says (her husband is a peds dentist.) But since knowing our dear friend who questions things a bit more, I have decided to do the same a but more often. That way I can have all the information when making a decision. Did that make sense? Thanks! :) I know we need to have our first cleaning. I am just dreading it because she will flip-out!

Angela Nazworth said...

That makes sense. I am learning to question more as well. Hmmm, Our previous dentist said that she could use the non fluoride toothpaste until she could spit. And PD is late on the spitting spectrum. If H can spit out the toothpaste, I wouldn't worry. If she can't...hmmm, I don't know...I'd ask again. PD ended up loving going to the dentist when she was H's age. They didn't do an actual scrapping cleaning on her yet...just the polish and she loved it.

Mocha with Linda said...

So I guess you are hoping your kids are not the spitting image of their dad?! :-)

Robin said...

Ok. I promise. No more spitting in your presence! *giggle*
I am with you on that one....It just squeams me out. (I made up the word "squeams" but I think it fits, don't you?)

Joy said...

How funny! Elaina just switched to the Princess toothpaste, too!

I can't handle spit or vomit! It makes me really nauseous and I gag. Eew!!!