
Postpartum Depression (PPD) is a serious, but treatable illness and is just one disorder that affects mothers shortly after giving birth and sometimes during pregnancy as well. Often, these disorders are bundled and wrapped up under the PPD blanket, but really, the most comprehensive title is Postpartum and Prenatal Mood Disorders (PPMD). I am a survivor of this illness. Treatment plans are varied, so if you are dealing with PPMD, please work with your physician, and if she isn't taking you seriously, please find someone who will.
After a long and serious struggle PPMD, which for me manifested itself in the forms of PPD, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and Anxiety Disorder, I have been symptom-free for six-months. You can read more about my journey through PPMD here.
Opinions vary, so, please only take my method as an opinion, but here are the things that helped me survive this all-too common illness.
Medication – At first I was resistant to the idea of taking medication. I nursed and was afraid it would hurt my baby; and the idea alone of medication made me feel like a weakling. But, the more I learned about the chemical causes and effects of PPMD, I realized that I needed the medication to help me during this period and I worked with. There are side effects to taking some medications. I worked with a psychiatrist to help me find the proper type and dosage for me. At one point, my dosage was actually too high. Once the medication was regulated, I began to feel better. Not cured. Just well enough to cope and take the next steps. The types of medication vary and I recommend that it is monitored by a psychiatrist.
Christian Counseling – If you read my earlier segments about PPMD, you know that medication alone did little to help me. Christian counseling had a tremendous impact on my life. Led by Biblical principles, my counselor never doubted my PPMD. In fact my first Christian counselor is the one who diagnosed me as suffering from a form of OCD brought on from pregnancy. She understood how the hormones wreaked havoc on my system. She also knew how to find some of the core issues that troubled me and we dealt with those issues. For me, guilt, feelings of inadequacy, my false perception of my value to Christ, perfectionism, and fear reigned supreme.
Diet/Lifestyle Changes – If you love your Starbucks like I do, I’m about to deal you a punch to the kisser. Or should I write pallet? Eliminating caffeine from my diet was crucial. Not all women have to do this, but as I kept my mood chart (see below), I noticed a direct correlation between agitation and caffeine. My demeanor changed for the better once I weaned myself from java and my beloved fountain Pepsi, which I didn't even consume all that often. A few weeks ago, I had a fully loaded mocha. I thought I could handle it. While I didn’t unravel, my mood changed, I felt hyper, and easily annoyed.
Increasing my intake of Omega 3 fatty acids, and adding an additional vitamin supplement designed to help my body better absorb my antidepressant also added balance and relief. More sunshine and exercising helped me as well. Honestly, I’m not much for structured work outs. But the days I dance with my kids, go swimming, or take extra long walks are usually “good” days.
Support Groups – Talking to other women who were also experiencing PPD was medicine for my weary heart. A support group provided me a safe place to open up about my issues without anyone looking at me as if I grew an extra head out of my armpit.
Praying Scripture – There were so many days when I felt as though I just did not have enough of me to benefit anyone. I began the habit of praying scripture over my life and loved ones. A friend of mine sent me a few scripture cards from a Beth Moore Bible study. For example I prayed that the Lord would love my family through me (I Cor. 13). It not only deepened my relationship with God, but it helped sink in the point that I was not in control of my life. I was not responsible for the happiness of everyone else. I was to strive for excellence, but not perfection and lean on the understanding that God is more than enough for me and my family.
Keeping a Mood Chart –I chose to see a psychiatrist to manage my medicinal treatment because I felt it important to trust a biochemistry expert with my chemical imbalance. I wanted to get better and was willing to listen to his advice. However, I was not resigned to being a guinea pig. I knew that there could be side effects with medication and also knew that finding the right medications can be more of an art than a science. When my psychiatrist hypothesized that I could be bi-polar and suggested a few medications to try, I put on the breaks. I was not in denial. If I was bi-polar, I wanted to know about it and treat it. However, I wasn’t ready to try medications for a maybe diagnosis. My doctor suggested that I take a mood chart. My mood chart indicated that my mood swings at that period of time were situational. Once I kept track of what was causing me the most stress, I was able to work through those issues in therapy sessions. My honest assessments also gave my doctor the confidence to say “you are not bipolar.”
Support Plan – PPD can overwhelm a life. I needed to get to a place where I could accept help not only from the medical community, but from my own family and friends. My doctor required me to make a plan to ease back into my life. My plan included my husband helping out with some additional chores, cleaning only one room a day, and having sometime to my self to read, pray, and write.
A Support System – I am so blessed to have had and still have wonderful people in my life who love me and helped me through this time. Whenever I asked for help, they came to my aid and often before I asked, they came to me.
Again, what worked for me, may not work for you. And fighting PPMD takes time. However, it is a battle that can be won. And one in which there is more than a solo solider.
Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God. He is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge. Selah. Psalm 62:5-8 (NIV)
For More Works for Me Wednesday, see Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer.
10 comments:
While I have never been formally diagnosed with PPD, I have experienced depression as a result of those shifting horomones during and after pregnancy and also while nursing or weaning a little one. Thanks for sharing this excellent post. Topics like this tend to get swept under the rug--especially among Christians.
There is often an unspoken judgment that one's faith is weak if one uses medication to help deal with depression for a transitional period like you describe--yet, that may just be the means by which God helps us to heal and stay focused on Him.
I have not chosen the medication route, but highly recommend St. John's Wort as a mood stabilizer. It's an herbal that you can buy at your local Wal-Mart. Those who are looking for an alternative to medication may find this helpful.
Blessings,
Cindy
Wow-that is inspirational. Thank you for your detailed "battle plan" for PPD. I can relate, not as a mom, but as a physician assistant student. Your story will help me when I am treating women who might be struggling with PPD. Thank you for being so honest. Blessings!
I, too, have suffered from PPD, and all of your ideas are spot on. I'm still on meds, a low dosage thank goodness.
But with my third pregnancy, I began experiencing depression in my 3rd trimester. My OB said meds would be safe during pregnancy, but I just wasn't comfortable with it. So I did research on line and found that fish oil is a natural remedy for depression.
After taking it, I felt so much better in about a day or two. From what I've read, when our Omega 3 fatty acids and Omega 6 fatty acids get out of whack it can cause depression, anxiety, and even ADD. Taking more Omega 3s helps get that back in line.
It helped me immensely. Thanks for the great post.
My WFMW is up, too.
Golly, that's a lot to deal with! I'm glad you were able to gain control of your moods and are feeling better! It's too bad there's a stigma attached to medication - sometimes it really does work!
Thanks for sharing all that great info on PPD. I too, suffer(ed) from PPD. Many of the things you listed were very helpful for me too...meds, Christian counseling, praying scripture, exercise, sleep. I hope that someone suffering finds your post and sees some light at the end of a very dark tunnel.
Peace.
Great post! Thanks so much for being so brutally honest. It is encouraging, as someone who is in the midst of this, to hear that there really is the light at the tunnel.
It is so true that we feel enormous guilt when we have to take medication and admit an issue. We have failed, we weren't strong enough, we aren't working hard enough, praying enough, reading and applying God's Word enough. While some or all of that may be true, I have learned that it really does require medication to achieve complete balance and come to a place where I am able to the things that need to be done to take care of myself. Your insight and suggestions were remarkable - and it is great to know I am doing everything right when it comes to managing (and hopefully recovering fully) from this illness.
On days when I am agitated the most or most anxious, I have used Michael Murray's Suntheanine (I buy it at Vitamin Cottage) and found it to work really well.
Thanks again!
Jaime
There is often an unspoken judgment that one's faith is weak if one uses medication to help deal with depression for a transitional period like you describe--yet, that may just be the means by which God helps us to heal and stay focused on Him.
nikki
___________________________________
http://www.christian-drug-rehab.org
that is surely a good article.nobody is alone in this world so do not worry.
......................................
carol smith
http://www.christian-drug-rehab.org
Its a nice blog telling about your experiences. What precautions a pregnant lady should take. I liked it very much.
================================
desmondgale
href="http://www.christian-drug-rehab.org
Pregnancy is one of the most important phases of a woman's life and unfortunately sometimes in this phase a woman gets caught in the web of depression. Though depression during pregnancy is not uncommon, it can be dangerous for both the mother and the unborn baby. http://www.xanax-effects.com/
Post a Comment