Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Top 5: Useless Baby Stuff

  1. Pockets on Baby Clothes: Huh? Have you ever heard of a baby needing a pocket? "Uh-oh, wait Mom I forgot my wallet!" Yeah, right.
  2. Baby Monitors: I'll probably get a lot of folks disagreeing with me on this one, but this is the way I see it. Babies are LOUD. If they really need you, you will know, even without a baby monitor. Plus, what parents of newborns need more than anything is sleep. Being able to hear every little coo coming from the baby room won't help you get the good night sleep that you need.
  3. Wipe Warmers: Let's see. Wipes need to be moist. Add heat, what do you get? Dry wipes. Brilliant.
  4. Bibs that Tie: Attention bib manufacturers: there's this nifty invention that's been around since 1941. It's called VELCRO!
  5. Walkers: Crawling is a perfectly acceptable developmental stage. It builds coordination and upper body strength, so there's no need to rush the walking thing. I've even heard of parents knocking their young-uns on their bums whenever they start to walk just so they won't walk too soon.
Any others that you think deserve an honorable mention?

7 comments:

Kristen said...

I'm with you on the pockets. But I have to say, I love my monitor. I leave it on all the time and have heard some pretty interesting conversations between my 8 & 6 year old. The baby? Oh yeah, she's loud.

Anonymous said...

I agree with all except the wipe warmer. I lived for ours!

Think about it - 1:00AM and you have a warm, wet bum. Mom takes off your diaper and hits you with an ice cold wipe. SCREAMS! Now he's wide awake and so is the rest of the house. LOL Maybe it's just me. . .

Annie said...

1. The are there for fashion reasons. Don't get me started. LOL
2. I agree with this unless you have a huge house. I do have some friends that houses are big enough to need one. I really only used mine when I was doing yard work. I also used it sometimes when I was downstairs because I couldn't always hear her, but I never had it on in our bedroom. I could hear her from there all too well.
3. Amen to the wipe warmer. I think I used mine a week.
4. Totally agree here.
5. Yeah, we didn't have a walker, just an exersaucer.

Anonymous said...

1. Obviously Annie's dryer is not tinted orange yet and neither is Brian's socks. I guess though I am leaving my pockets on the babies' and taking them off of my preschoolers' clothes.

2. Lived for the baby monitor. I could wake up most of the time without it, but there was a few times with the monitor right next to my ear that Ted and I both slept through the baby crying until the screaming started and then it is so much harder to put them back to sleep. Ted would like some kind of monitor to tell me when the kids crawl into bed with us because I don't notice them even when they kick me.

3. Love the wipes warmer. Besides it can dry out the ones that are frozen solid when you leave them in the car in the north. We always left the diaper bag in the car so we wouldn't forget it and we learned real quick why there is alcohol in wipes. That keeps them from becoming frozen. Maybe sowing wild oats would have taught us that:) Picture Ted heating them on the car vent because the diaper is already off and there is poop everywhere. Poor Kaitlyn.

4. I agree with the ties. They do stay on better though when the kids start pulling on them because they don't want to wear them anymore.

5. I'm all for my kids learning how to walk so I don't have to carry them everywhere, but I never forced the issue. Just an exersaucer to give them a new vantage point.

So sorry about the length.

DKay said...

We only used the monitor if we were outside while Lane napped. You are right - hearing every little noise from his room drove me crazy.
Personally, I think the changing table things are useless. When I babysat before marrying and having my own, I was always afraid the babies would roll off (about 5 months and older). And they are quite pricy. I didn't want to buy one to only use it without worry for a few months. We changed Bug on the floor or a bed. But that is just my opinion....

Darla said...

~Confessed bum knocker.

Oh yes I did. ;=)

Lindsay said...

Thanks for stopping by the blog and the congrats! I never win anything I was so shocked when I saw that in my inbox!

hehe love this list! I agree with all but the monitor.. but I think my kid was just a quiet one (boy do things change). My husband turned it off when I was feeding him in the middle of the night one night and forgot to turn it back on.. we woke up to the alarm and then realized he was screaming (but not sure for how long :-P). But now we dont need it anymore!